- Kroger-Albertsons Merger ‘Would Not Be Counterbalanced’ by Competitors, DOJ Says Posted in: Restaurants and Retail - UFCW 555 rep says proposed merger 'better than the alternative.'
- NEXT Refinery Project Formally Asks For Lower Rent — Which Records Show It’s Already Paying Posted in: Energy and Environment - A letter from the controversial renewable diesel refinery’s CEO says a boating crash ‘calls into question’ NEXT’s ability to operate the refinery under current conditions.
- Perimeter Security that Protects Property and Peace of Mind Posted in: Brand Stories - Brand Story - AMAROK safeguards Oregon businesses with effective electric fencing and security services.
- 100 Best Nonprofits to Work For in Oregon in 2023 - Congratulations to all the organizations who made the list.
- Looking Forward, Looking Back - We asked leaders in Oregon’s business and political sectors what they make of 2023 — and what they hope to see in 2024. Here’s what they said.
- Exit Interview: Blumenauer Says Last Years Were Most Productive - ‘I have a lot of things I want to work on, and I don't think any of them are going to be advanced in a dysfunctional Congress’
- Oregon, 29 Other State Regulators Reach Settlement in $68 Million Silver Scam - The case alleges defendants deceived elderly and retirement-age customers by inflating the price of its precious metal coins.
- Measure 110 Partial-Repeal Would Use Criminal Justice System for Early Intervention - Two alternative ballot measures would recriminalize hard drugs in Oregon, but the organizing group’s founder Max Williams says he hopes the Legislature comes up with a better alternative.
- Wells Fargo VP Says Declining Interest Rates, AI Are Top of Mind as Businesses Plan For 2024 - As some companies continue to delay buying decisions, Michelle Weisenbach says the declining interest rate environment is signaling companies to invest in technical improvements.
- Textured Hair Styling Academy L&M Hair Company Wins $20K Key4Women Grand Prize - The salon was selected from a pool of 212 applicants after making an ‘overwhelming’ pitch
- Medford’s Income Growth Outpaced 91% of US Metros Between 2019 and 2022. What’s Behind the Boom? - The uptick reverses decades of decline, according to Census data.
- Genesis Financial Solutions Becomes Concora Credit - The rebrand follows a year of furniture retail partnerships for the company, which provides financial services to customers with subprime credit.
RESTAURANTS AND RETAIL
- Kroger-Albertsons Merger ‘Would Not Be Counterbalanced’ by Competitors, DOJ Says - UFCW 555 rep says proposed merger 'better than the alternative.'
- Hometown Heroes - Ndamukong and Katya Suh throw down roots in Northeast Portland.
- Salt & Straw Opens New Location in Vancouver - The Vancouver ice cream shop opens its doors Jan.5, and will feature the company’s dairy-free January flavors.
- Tigard Entrepreneur Pitches Mess-Free Gingerbread House on ‘Shark Tank’ - Miranda Vaughn’s Tomte Cake kit is on track to sell 20K units, and says her pitch on Shark Tank left her ‘feeling confident.’
- After a Landmark Year, Oregon Humane Society Looks Ahead -
In 2022 the Oregon Humane Society merged with another shelter system and opened a community veterinary clinic. President and CEO Sharon Harmon says it’s just the beginning.
- Wieden+Kennedy Co-Founder Dan Wieden Dead at 77 -
Wieden, who coined Nike’s “Just Do It” tagline, made memorable ads with an edge.
- Death Care Goes Green -
Oregon becomes the third state in the nation to allow human composting, representing a wider turn towards ecological burial options in the death care industry.
- Tactics — Elisabeth Kramer, day-of wedding coordinator -
The journalist-turned-wedding planner talks about what's next for the industry
- Spotlight: Micro-Chasm - Oregon’s microfluidics Tech Hub joins academic and industry partners to help small fluids make a big leap.
- Suitable Tech - How Macro Law Group is using AI — and automation — to upend the way law firms do business
- Second Sight - Portland’s Synaptiq started by training AI models but is now helping businesses build AI-driven products, especially those that deploy computer vision — a technology that enables computers to derive information from images.
- Locking It Down - Security platform HiddenLayer offers protection for AI systems.
ENERGY AND ENVIRONMENT
- NEXT Refinery Project Formally Asks For Lower Rent — Which Records Show It’s Already Paying - A letter from the controversial renewable diesel refinery’s CEO says a boating crash ‘calls into question’ NEXT’s ability to operate the refinery under current conditions.
- Merkley, Wyden Pledge $3.5M in EPA Funding For Water Systems in Prineville, Willamina - Communities will use the funds to improve water treatment and install new infrastructure.
- More Than 100,000 Oregon Homes Without Power — Some For Days — After Winter Storms - An arctic blast caused small blackouts across the country, but none affecting so many homes as in Oregon, per national tracking tool.
- Shattered Glass - Oregon’s glass bottle recycling rates may be some of the highest in the nation, but with the state’s only glass recycling plant temporarily shuttered, where is the rest of our used glass being carted off to? And is glass recycling as green as environmentalists once thought?