Boost your employees’ health and wellness through active commuting support and benefits.
Today’s staffing issues make one thing clear: promoting and supporting your employees’ physical and mental health are more important than ever. Employers play a vital role in creating workplaces that foster employee wellbeing. Workplace wellness promoting healthy habits can improve employee health and job satisfaction, plus there are all kinds of benefits for employers, too.
Supporting active commute options at worksites—bicycling, walking, an d taking transit—is a great scalable, relatively low-cost way for employers to boost employee health and wellness. Read on to learn about the many benefits of active commuting, and how to build support, benefits, and perks into your workplace wellness efforts.
Tips on getting started...
Here are some strategies to start building active commuting support, benefits, and perks into your wellness efforts:
• Ask employees about what types of active commuting support, services, and benefits appeal most to them
• Factor in organizational needs like improving facilities and amenities and reducing employee burnout
• Tap into local resources and programs—like bike safety and maintenance workshops and Oregon’s trip planning and rewards tool Get There Connect that’s available for free to all Oregonians
• Be flexible and make adjustments based on your employees’ needs
Support, Services, & Benefits Options
There are all kinds of active commuting support, services, and benefits to offer employees, including:
• Wellness credits for purchasing equipment and gear
• Monthly financial rewards for logging active commute trips
• Onsite tools like bike pumps and multitools for repairs and maintenance
• Amenities, ranging from secure bike parking to personal lockers and/or shower facilities
• Bike tune-up days
• How-to Information about active commuting and available onsite amenities
• Peer support and tips to help employees start active commuting
• Active commuting information and resources in new employee packets
- October Oregon Get There Challenge: Build A Thriving Workforce By Making Employee Commutes Better
- Workplace Wellness and Active Commutes
- Fresh Solutions for Flexible Workplaces
- Hop In! How Shared Rides Boost Staff Benefits
- Recruit, retain employees + create thriving workplaces by leveraging low-cost commute benefits