Daimler Trucks North America is creating almost 1,400 jobs, 155 of which will be at its Portland plant.
The hiring comes as the company ramps up production of its Freightliner and Western Star trucks.
The German company employs 2,700 in Portland, its North American headquarters, including 680 at the Swan Island truck plant. The new positions will come on line by year's end.
Daimler announced plans to shutter the Portland plant in October 2008 but reversed course a year later, citing an order for 1,800 military trucks. Union officials contradicted that explanation at the time, saying Daimler had belatedly discovered that closure would cost it $130 million for pensions.
Read more at OregonLive.com.
Latest from Oregon Business Team
- Print advertising specifications
- 100 Best Fan-Favorite Destinations in Oregon for 2020 are announced
- Video: Cyber Security for Manufacturers
- Info Package: The 2019 100 Best Nonprofits to Work For in Oregon
- Mt. Bachelor Village by Meredith Lodging and Wanderlust Tours Team Up for New “Friday Frolic” Event this Summer