Japan-based Sanyo Homes is in talks to build trial houses of its eco-friendly houses and condominiums in Portland later this year.
Sanyo houses also employ the latest in earthquake-proof technology.
"Portland places emphasis on environment, sustainability and eco, which are the keywords in our business, too," said Hideo Nakai, president of Sanyo Homes, in an email interview. "Also, one of our major shareholders, Sanyo Electric started manufacturing key components of solar power generation in Salem recently. Since then, we started communications with officials from the state of Oregon and the cities of Portland and Salem and we have noticed that they are very supportive, professional and business-oriented."
Nakai said he expects a groundbreaking on an initial trial project in the Portland area this year. He added that the company would consider opening a U.S. office if the market develops for Sanyo Homes.
Read more at Sustainable Business Oregon.
Latest from Oregon Business Team
- Workplace Culture for Nonprofits Panel Discussion
- October Oregon Get There Challenge: Build A Thriving Workforce By Making Employee Commutes Better
- Workplace Wellness and Active Commutes
- The 2023 100 Best Companies to Work for in Oregon survey is open!
- New for the 2023 Survey: Customized, Supplemental 100 Best Survey Questions