Powell Butte-based J & S Trucking started as a trucking business, but now focuses on restoring creeks and waterways.
Salmon habitat restoration has held up better than the housing industry in Central Oregon.
“During the building boom, guys really had to find a niche — and we really focused our attention away from the building boom and into the forest,” [owner Sean] Kelly said. “It’s paying off now.”
With efforts to return salmon and steelhead runs to the Upper Deschutes Basin, the passage of Measure 76 to renew lottery funding for restoration projects, and focused efforts to make the forests less prone to catastrophic wildfires, some businesses in Central Oregon that focus on ecosystem rehabilitation are seeing a demand for their services.
“It continues to increase, and the jobs are getting larger and more complex as funding becomes available,” Kelly said. “And as these agencies see that it really works, they push to do more and more of it.”
Read more at The Bulletin.
Latest from Oregon Business Team
- October Oregon Get There Challenge: Build A Thriving Workforce By Making Employee Commutes Better
- Workplace Wellness and Active Commutes
- The 2023 100 Best Companies to Work for in Oregon survey is open!
- New for the 2023 Survey: Customized, Supplemental 100 Best Survey Questions
- Fresh Solutions for Flexible Workplaces