Intel's "Notice of Intent to Construct" indicates that the company is set to reopen Fab 20 in Hillsboro, which they closed last summer.
The filing with state environmental regulators suggests that the semiconductor factory would be retrofitted with new technology, resulting in more jobs.
A decision to overhaul Fab 20 could reflect Intel's eagerness to update its microprocessors for smart phones, tablet computers and other hot computing markets where Intel currently plays a negligible role.
It would certainly represent another economic boost for Oregon and Washington County, close on the heels of Intel's announcement last month that it plans a massive upgrade and expansion at its Ronler Acres manufacturing and research campus near Hillsboro
Read more at OregonLive.com.
Latest from Oregon Business Team
- October Oregon Get There Challenge: Build A Thriving Workforce By Making Employee Commutes Better
- Workplace Wellness and Active Commutes
- The 2023 100 Best Companies to Work for in Oregon survey is open!
- New for the 2023 Survey: Customized, Supplemental 100 Best Survey Questions
- Fresh Solutions for Flexible Workplaces