Las Vegas-based upstart Allegiant Air is largely responsible for helping the Medford Airport reach its second-best commercial passenger year ever.
Allegiant Air, which flies to Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Mesa, Ariz., pushed its Medford passenger total to 9,848 in August, a 35.8 percent gain. Horizon, the top local service provider, saw a 2.9 percent pickup in business with 24,896 passengers, while United Express had 23,172 passengers, a 1.7 percent increase. Delta Connection dropped one-half of 1 percent to 5,816.
The budget-minded fliers Allegiant attracts tend to cut costs any and every way. "They attract the passengers who may have not flown before, because the fare is so affordable," [Tri-Cities Airport's director of marketing and air service development Melissa] Thomas said. "One of the things we have found though is that the leisure passenger is less inclined to park in our parking lots because they are so much more price-sensitive."
Read more at the Mail Tribune.
Latest from Oregon Business Team
- Workplace Culture for Nonprofits Panel Discussion
- October Oregon Get There Challenge: Build A Thriving Workforce By Making Employee Commutes Better
- Workplace Wellness and Active Commutes
- The 2023 100 Best Companies to Work for in Oregon survey is open!
- New for the 2023 Survey: Customized, Supplemental 100 Best Survey Questions