Portland-based Craft Brewers Alliance Inc. announced that they will buy Hawaii's Kona Brewing Co. for $13.9 million, after a nine-year partnership.
Craft Brewers was formed out of a merger between Portland's Widmer Brothers Brewing and Woodinville, Washington's Redhook Ale Brewery in 2008.
As part of Craft Brewers, Kona will be able to expand its brand and distribution while maintaining its craft brewery operations in Hawaii, said Kurt Widmer, co-founder of Widmer Brothers Brewing. Kona beer for mainland distribution will continue to be brewed by Widmer and Redhook.
"This is a way to expand and strengthen our portfolio to wholesalers and retailers," said Widmer, "because the more diverse your portfolio is, the better your chance of getting great beer to beer drinkers. This will enable us to take the Kona brand to more places in the country, primarily beyond the Northwest."
Read more at OregonLive.com.
Latest from Oregon Business Team
- Print advertising specifications
- 100 Best Fan-Favorite Destinations in Oregon for 2020 are announced
- Video: Cyber Security for Manufacturers
- Info Package: The 2019 100 Best Nonprofits to Work For in Oregon
- Mt. Bachelor Village by Meredith Lodging and Wanderlust Tours Team Up for New “Friday Frolic” Event this Summer